You know the one I mean. Middle of March and everyone’s talking about it. And the big question that they’re asking is this: How are you going to fill out your March Madness bracket?
If you went to any of the top ranked schools, you probably have to show some allegiance, even if you don’t think they’re going to go all the way. And you’ve probably watched a handful of games, if you’re into college sports at all. I’ve got the smattering-of-games-watched down, no problem. I’ll tune in for bits and pieces. What I don’t have, is an allegiance. See, when your alma mater is D3 in every sport but lacrosse, you have to pick outside your university.
So this is the time of year when I look at each team that’s made it into the bracket, and try to figure out what tiny connections I have. The thought process goes something like this:
- My brother goes to Pitt – let’s root for them.
- I have a friend who used to cheer at Villanova – that could work.
- My co-worker will kill me if I don’t put UNC down through at least the Final Four. In.
- I don’t know anything about either of these teams, but I have a good feeling about Xavier.
- Oh! American! I’m looking there for grad school. Check. (Which is quickly followed by, Oh crap. They’re playing Villanova in the first round – *now* who do I pick?)
And so on, and so forth. (I try my very hardest not to pick teams based on uniforms, but sometimes I have nothing else to go on.)
So now, I have a teeny tiny request. For all of you who know SO much more about this than I do – please, help a girl out. Send your tips, thoughts and good-bracket karma my way, so I don’t completely embarrass myself in my office pool this year. You know you want to.
Only two days until tip off!