I’m usually much more of a New Year’s Resolutions girl, but I hear that quarter-life crises are slightly less daunting if you have some sort of plan. So, in honor of turning the big 2-5 today (why, yes, I am shamelessly blogging about my birthday, on my birthday), I’ve come up with a little list of things that I hope to accomplish before June 11, 2011.
And I fully expect you to hold me accountable. Please and thank you.
So, in the year of 25, in no particular order, I want to…
1) …volunteer somewhere in DC, preferably with kids. Any suggestions (and/or company) are more than welcome.
2) …hit a home run during softball.
3) …run a race with an average pace that’s under 10 minutes, something I haven’t been able to do since I hurt my hip in December.
4) …finish all the books I’ve started, that I got halfway through and left for something else. There are about 6-7 right now.
5) …finish my first year of grad school, which really should take care of itself, but you never know.
6) …go skydiving.
7) …get a bike and become comfortable riding in the street. Because I find that terrifying.
8 ) …learn how to change a tire. And other car maintenance tricks necessities.
9) …get a new tattoo (or two).
10) …start taking Chinese again. Or at least brushing up on what I’ve already learned. I should be able to say more than, “This is my mom, dad, and little brother,” “I love you,” and, “I don’t know.”
11) …ride a motorcycle.
12) …run the Marine Corps Marathon faster than I did the National Marathon. So, something under 4:58:57.
13) …be more outgoing. Whether that means attending more blogger happy hours, emailing a bloggy crush, or just generally introducing myself to new people – this is a hard one for me.
14) …prove to my boss that I do deserve a promotion – even before I complete my MA.
15) …finally go hiking out at Great Falls.
16) …make a more concerted effort to visit friends who live in New York. It should be so easy, and yet I think I’ve visited once in about 3 years. I’m a bad friend.
17) …go on a road trip. Destination negotiable.
18) …get more comfortable cooking from scratch and experimenting in the kitchen.
19) …learn how to play pool better – or, at the very least, learn how to break so that the balls actually move.
20) …run a race in a new state. I’ve run in Massachusetts, New York (if you count bandit races), Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC (I know, I know – not a state), and Virginia. Maybe it’s time to explore something other than the East Coast.
21) …get an iPhone. My plan is up in February, so either Verizon better come out with something that lets me play Words with Friends, or I’m switching to AT&T.
22) …find a church in DC that I’m comfortable going to. It was such a big part of my life growing up, but I haven’t found one that I love down here.
23) …watch JB get married/be in my first wedding!
24) …rent a car. Just because I can.
25) …participate in an underwear run. I mean, I do run to look better naked, after all.
And because you always have to have that extra special bonus one for good luck:
26) …meet a Phillies player! I realize that this isn’t so much of a 25-goal, as it is a life dream, but that’s why it’s the bonus. Because it would just be icing on the cake.
I’m sure you’ll hear more about these as they either get checked off or I realize, what the hell was I thinking? But either way, it should be an interesting year.