Think about it:
- September’s weather can be a little hit or miss, but October’s usually perfect (minus this rain).
- It’s the beginning of postseason baseball.
- This year, the month starts off with the much-anticipated Eagles vs. Redskins match up.
- There’s Halloween (and, consequently, playing dress up) to look forward to at the end.
- In the spirit of Halloween, there are always scary/cheesy-scary movies on TV. (If I still had cable, and time, I’d be watching ABC Family’s annual Halloween countdown. One family friendly scary movie every night! Though, that version of scary usually includes Harry Potter…which I’m okay with.)
- And, of course, October is my biggest race month.
– There’s the super fun Warrior Dash scheduled for next weekend – during which I’ll get an amazing Viking helmet. (Photos to come, post-race.)
– Then the Army 10-Miler two weeks after that, which I’m determined to enjoy more than last year.
One of my 25 goals was to run the MCM faster than I did the National Marathon. As I get closer to the date, I’m honestly not sure that will happen, but I’m still SO excited. The atmosphere is unlike any other race I’ve been a part of – as both a runner and as a spectator.
It’s still nerve-wracking to be starting my countdown now (only 30 days!), but in a good way. I know that the crowds (and, let’s be honest, that enormous medal) will make the hours of running well worth it.
So, even though I don’t really get to celebrate Halloween this year, I’ll survive. And, along with the cheers of Marines, I’ll be rewarded with this:
I’ll just have to save playing dress up for another weekend.